I am a seasoned, freelance, independent product designer and user experience consultant with 18 years of experience based in Boston and New York City. I design useful, usable, and beautiful user experiences for mobile and desktop applications and specialize in making complex consumer and enterprise software easy to use.
Recent News & Accomplishments
- Invited to speak at the next Django Boston Meetup (June 26, 2014)
- Led initial design and prototyping of an award-winning storage optimization app for Infinio called Accelerator (they were named the 2013 MassTLC Startup to Watch)
- Wrapped up full concept-to-code design and development for a new desktop/mobile collaboration app for Elysium Digital
- Designed and prototyped some new hotel-search experiences using data visualization techniques at Tripadvisor (they were the 2013 MassTLC Public Company of the Year)
- Reshaped the UX of key storage management software at NetApp using design thinking and data visualization as core tools
- Launched mobile/responsive versions of orchestrotica.com and rhythmspice.com (HTML5/CSS3/jQuery)
My Design Methodology
As a "generalist" designer, my approach is holistic and includes problem definition and discovery, customer research, design strategy, interaction design, fast sketching, visual design and data visualization, prototyping, and front-end code. I also believe great design only exists when user and business problems are defined and solved in tandem. As such, part of my service to my clients (who are often entrepreneurs, engineers, and product managers) is teaching them how to empathize with their users so that human needs are always placed alongside business objectives.
Since 1996, I've worked with companies of all sizes including Fidelity, NetApp, Lycos, JP Morgan Chase, Accenture, MITRE, Tripadvisor, Elysium, Infinio, Eons, Akorri, DataXu, UpDown.com, and others. I am also a co-founder of the travel startup TravelDragon.com, a unique search engine to find and compare "trips of a lifetime" from the world's best adventure travel providers. (Full bio)
Recruiters: please read this before contacting me.