I am a seasoned, freelance, independent product designer and user experience consultant with 18 years of experience based in Boston and New York City. I design useful, usable, and beautiful user experiences for mobile and desktop applications and specialize in making complex consumer and enterprise software easy to use.
- Designer, UI Developer (GitHub) for SmallsLIVE (NYC Jazz Club's Musician Revenue Sharing Project)
- Designing a visual data portal Future of Music Coalition's Artist Revenue Stream project (a groundbreaking survey about how musicians earn money)
- Consulting Product Designer and Product Management Leader for Dispatch, a new "Uber for home-services" startup
- Consulting Product Designer for Kyruus - providing vision designs and UX guidance to enable patients to get quicker access to the right specialists
- Sep 2014: Guest speaker the No Dogma Podcast
- Jun 2014: Guest speaker @ Django Boston Meetup - Design Thinking for Non-Designers (video url TBA)
- May 2014: The first edition of Legion, a patent-collaboration app for Elysium Digital, went live. I designed this product from sketch to pixel and provided much of the HTML/CSS/JS/Django templating.
- Led initial design and prototyping of an award-winning storage optimization app for Infinio called Accelerator (the 2013 MassTLC Startup to Watch)
- Designed and prototyped some new hotel-search experiences using data visualization techniques at Tripadvisor (the 2013 MassTLC Public Company of the Year)
- Reshaped the UX of key storage management software at NetApp using design thinking and data visualization as core tools
My Design Methodology
As a "generalist" designer, my approach is holistic and includes problem definition and discovery, customer research, design strategy, interaction design, fast sketching, visual design and data visualization, prototyping, and front-end code. I also believe great design only exists when user and business problems are defined and solved in tandem. As such, part of my service to my clients (who are often entrepreneurs, engineers, and product managers) is teaching them how to empathize with their users so that human needs are always placed alongside business objectives.
Since 1996, I've designed, built, and shipped products for companies of all sizes including Fidelity, NetApp, Lycos, JP Morgan Chase, Accenture, MITRE, Tripadvisor, Elysium, Infinio, Eons, Akorri, DataXu, UpDown.com, and others. I am also a co-founder of the travel startup TravelDragon.com, a unique search engine to find and compare "trips of a lifetime" from the world's best adventure travel providers. (Full bio)
Recruiters: please read this before contacting me.