I am a seasoned, freelance, independent product designer and user experience consultant with 19 years of experience based in Boston and New York City. I design useful, usable, and beautiful user experiences for mobile and desktop applications and specialize in making complex consumer and enterprise software easy to use.
- Consulting product designer for Apptopia. Leading the discovery and design of useful market data for mobile app publishers and developers. Design strategy, sketching, visual design, prototyping, and more.
- Research, UI/UX design, development, and coaching for the Future of Music Coalition. We're building a data portal to beautifully expose the data captured during their groundbreaking Artist Revenue Streams survey.
- Gave my "Many-Hat Product Designer" talk at the Dec. 2014 UX Boston Meetup
- Oversaw the design and launch of the first edition of Dispatch.me's enterprise-grade workforce management app for home services networks. "Book, track and manage with the world's most powerful on-demand services platform."
- Provided future-looking vision designs for Kyruus' ProviderMatch. The product is an enterprise software platform to connect patients with available, qualified specialists and help healthcare organizations utilize available provider capacity.
- Designed the consumer UI, brand, and backend/musician UI for SmallsLIVE (NYC Jazz Club's Musician Revenue Sharing Project) (GitHub)
My Design Methodology
As a "generalist" designer, my approach is holistic and includes problem definition and discovery, customer research, design strategy, interaction design, fast sketching, visual design and data visualization, prototyping, and front-end code. I also believe great design only exists when user and business problems are defined and solved in tandem. As such, part of my service to my clients (who are often entrepreneurs, engineers, and product managers) is teaching them how to empathize with their users so that human needs are always placed alongside business objectives.
Since 1996, I've designed, built, and shipped products for companies of all sizes including Fidelity, NetApp, Lycos, JP Morgan Chase, Accenture, MITRE, Tripadvisor, Elysium, Infinio, Eons, Akorri, DataXu, UpDown.com, and others. I am also a co-founder of the travel startup TravelDragon.com, a unique search engine to find and compare "trips of a lifetime" from the world's best adventure travel providers. (Full bio)
Recruiters: please read this before contacting me.